Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Seattle joins MLS in 2009

Today, MLS granted Seattle an expansion franchise beginning in 2009.

As a Portland Timbers fan, my immediate reaction was disdain- and, admittedly, envy. Anybody who was at the Semifinal game against Atlanta knows that Portland’s fans can compete with any in the country for noise, understanding of the game, and passion.

But, after giving the Seattle MLS situation some more thought (and reading numerous blogs about the subject), I will admit that I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, Seattle Sounders is the team I wanted to beat more than any other team in the league and country. However, there is a possibility that the Sounders name will die in USL, with a different incarnation for MLS. Not that this fact matters all that much.

On the other hand, I feel a Pacific Northwest pride that would enable me to cheer for Seattle, so long as it resulted in pummeling Los Angeles, sticking it to New York, or shoving it up D.C.’s – well, you know.

BUT: I will wait with keen anticipation for the day we play Seattle in the U.S. Open Cup.

I understand and respect the view that Timbers fans will never let themselves cheer for any Seattle team. I just can’t help but feel some divided loyalty to our fellow Pacific Northwest brethren. There is more that unites us than divides us, right?

So, at least today, I congratulate Seattle.

I look forward to the date, sometime soon, when Portland joins the MLS ranks, and things go back to normal.

And please! let us have grass at PGE Park.

No comments: